Saturday 9 October 2010

Written on 9/10/10
So, the power went off this morning but its back on again. It only stopped us manufacturing a limb for an hour or so. The transtibial amputee came later, and we fitter her with her first leg. She walks really well but it's going to take some time for her to get used to the new limb that she's been given - she's not walked in over a year and a half. Overall, we were very satisfied with her progress in just one day and we'll have her back in a week for some more gait training on it. Hopefully she can be fully discharged within about 2 weeks (latest). Generally the main trouble is followup appointments here, but she seems pretty proactive, so I doubt that will be a problem.





The rain has finally stopped, and the sunshine is back out again. It's actually really good that we can work under a roof and in some shade. Working in a full lab coat in this temperature would reduce me to tears if we didn't have that relief. We're all going to Kabale on Monday (takes a whole day to get there). It's a four of five hour drive, but we're going up to launch a new rehabilitation centre; therefore I'm not sure when I'll next be online to update this blog. I'll update it once I'm back here in Kampala though. Fortunately the weather has cheered up again, the sun is out and everyone is rejoicing. For some reason we have both electricity and water at the same time (they must have fired the guy in charge), and I finally caught that gecko - though once I had it, I realised that I had absolutely no idea of what my intentions were to do with it.

3 comments:

  1. Perhaps you should name the gecko and then let it go?
    Mum
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I pretty much released it as soon as I had it. I named him Gerald

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adam your photos look amazing! sounds pretty rewarding - keep it coming!
    I'll give Kendra a cheeky squeeze when I see her at the weekend.
    Can't wait to hear your stories.

    ReplyDelete